Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI)Contact: General Enquiries
The Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) is a multi-disciplinary scientific Institute offering world class scientific services to a wide range of customers in the agri-food sector. We provide analytical and diagnostic services, research and development, scientific training and advice in agriculture, food, animal and plant health, marine and freshwater ecosystems and the agri-environment. AFBI’s research and scientific activities are focused on 3 core areas: leading improvements in the agri food industry; protecting animal, plant and human health; and enhancing the natural and marine environment. AFBI provide a wide range of statutory, regulatory and commercial analytical services such as chemical and microbiological analyses of food and animal feed and certification and monitoring of pasture, horticultural and agricultural crops and the wider environment. AFBI also provide statutory animal health testing; maintenance of an emergency response capability for known and emerging disease threats, and animal disease surveillance and investigation. Advances in molecular diagnostics, genomics and associated data and epidemiological modelling are becoming increasingly important to our epizootic, statutory and R&D functions. AFBI is continuing to expand its capability and capacity in these areas, including investing in next generation sequencing technology, which position us well to contribute to cutting-edge research and to deliver scientific advances. AFBI have an extensive instrumented platform of laboratories, field and farm based infrastructures which facilitate detailed research and development across land and livestock based industries.
Areas of Expertise
Animal health and welfare; sustainable livestock; grassland and plant science; environmental protection; fisheries and aquatic ecosystems; food quality and safety; economics.
Areas of Interest
- We are interested in providing placement and/or internship opportunities
- We are interested in seeking placement and/or internship opportunities
- We are interested in providing opportunities for ad hoc work (e.g. outside the curriculum)
- We are interested in seeking opportunities for ad hoc work (e.g. outside the curriculum)
- We are interested in providing project opportunities
- We are interested in seeking project opportunities
- We are interested in providing graduate schemes opportunities
- We are interested in seeking graduate schemes opportunities
- We are interested in contributing to careers fairs
- We have people that are willing to deliver guest lectures
- We have/can provide people with links to alumni