Location: Okehampton, Devon
£29,842 to £32,315 per annum
Closing date: 21st April 2017
We are seeking a highly qualified postdoctoral scientist with a PhD in animal science, animal nutrition (ruminants), animal behaviour, livestock production systems, pasture management or similar field. Initially a three‐year position, you will be based at Rothamsted’s North Wyke site, home of the North Wyke Farm Platform (NWFP) in Devon, UK (http://rothamsted.ac.uk/farmplatform).
In order to support the projected global population of 9.15 billion people at mid‐century, a 70% increase in global food production is believed to be required. Pasture‐based ruminant production systems can utilise soils unsuitable for arable crop production by converting forages/fibrous feedstuffs into high‐quality protein sources for humans. Concurrently, ruminants are a significant source of emissions, polluters of waterways and also a cause of semi‐permanent land degradation. Given this strong trade‐off between the costs and benefits, there is an urgent need for strategy development to improve system‐wide performance of pasture‐based livestock production.
Rothamsted is now launching a five‐year, £8.5m strategic research programme entitled Soil to Nutrition (S2N) in April 2017. Using the NWFP’s state‐of‐the‐art facility, you will design and deploy field experiments for cattle and sheep within the S2N framework, carry out supplementary lab analyses to elucidate dynamic flows of nutrients, assess the production efficiency and welfare of grazing animals through behavioural analyses, engage in agricultural system modelling and development of sustainability metrics useful for producers/policymakers.
This full time fixed term role is initially offered for three years with a starting salary in the range of £29,842 to £32,315 per annum.
Rothamsted Research, North Wyke Site is situated on the edge of Dartmoor National Park, to the west of Exeter in Devon. We offer excellent facilities, 25 days’ holiday and an attractive benefits package. Our commitment to learning and development, as well as equality and diversity, create a welcoming environment for all prospective employees.
Interviews will be held: w/c 01/05/2017
Closing date: 21/04/2017
Please quote reference: 1551
Enquiries should be addressed to Head of Sustainable Agriculture Sciences (North Wyke), Professor Michael Lee (email@example.com).
To apply, complete an application form at http://www.rothamsted.ac.uk/jobs and return to the HR Group,
Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Herts, AL5 2JQ, (e‐mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Bioveterinary Science (Higher Education)
Salary: SL: £36,672 - £46,414 per annum L: £31,656 - £35,609 per annum
Closing date: Tuesday 9th May 2017
We have an exciting opportunity for you to contribute as part of a dynamic team of staff delivering an evolving portfolio in Bioveterinary and Animal Science. Within this varied role, you will be required to design, implement, assess, support and evaluate learning and teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
To undertake this role you will have in-depth knowledge of one or more areas of bioveterinary science. It would be of an advantage if you have either experience within a similar role previously, or have held a technical role within the industry. The role holder will also be expected to develop independent research as well as contributing to other areas of teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. The ability to supervise postgraduate student research work is an essential requirement.
You will provide academic leadership to those working within the programme area, and will be required to exercise demonstrable leadership in a relevant group within the University College.
You should have experience of supervising research work and be educated to Doctorate level (SL) or Masters level (L) or be working towards this, and be in possession of a teaching qualification or be willing to work towards one. Appointment will be made at either Lecturer or Senior Lecturer level dependant on experience. When making your application please clearly state which level of role you are applying for.
For an application pack, please visit our website: www.writtle.ac.uk, email HR@writtle.ac.uk or call 01245 424208.
Interview date: 19.05.17
This University College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Download job description / Application Form (PDF) or (Word)
Closing Date: 31st May 2017
Micron Bio-Systems Ltd is an international leader in biotechnology. Utilizing our scientific expertise in Microbiology, Enzymology, Biochemistry and Immunology, we develop product-based solutions for the Animal Husbandry and Environmental markets.
Micron Bio-Systems has a vacancy for a Technical Officer to join our Technical department based in Bridgwater, Somerset.
This position is full time working from 8.30am – 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Salary: Negotiable, dependent on experience
- Prepare promotional and technical product presentations as well as literature for use by commercial colleagues
- Prepare product related documentation (specification sheets, labels, safety data sheets)
- Ensure regulatory compliance of Micron Bio-Systems product portfolio by monitoring and reporting legislative changes likely to impact the business
- Design product/application trial protocols and conduct the trials in-house, at customer or third party premises to demonstrate the benefits of products/applications
- Assess trial results, collate data and produce concise technical/commercial reports
- Raising the profile of Micron Bio-Systems through conference presentations and publications
- Improve market intelligence from a technical perspective by identifying and assessing products from competitors, new raw materials and technologies, as well as market trends
- Conducting product/application related presentations
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science or other relevant discipline. A PhD would be desirable but not essential.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in a related industry (Feed, Feed Additives, Nutritional, Pharmaceutical)
- An in depth understanding of the agricultural industry with sound technical, nutritional and marketing knowledge
- Excellent proficiency in English language skills, additional languages would also be desirable but not essential
- Innovative, capable of out-of-the box thinking and motivated by accomplishment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced PC knowledge, MS Office
If you are interested in this position, please forward a full CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com and include “Technical Officer” in the subject line.
Want to advertise a vacancy? Please contact BSAS if you have a vacancy in agriculture or animal science that you wish to advertise.